BELOIT POETRY JOURNAL invites submissions for
The Chad Walsh Chapbook Series
- Open to any poet writing in English, regardless of publication history
- $1000 prize + 50 author copies (perfect bound, full-color cover)
- Winning chapbook distributed to every BPJ subscriber + sold separately (print run of approximately 1,500)
- BPJ editors will read all submissions and select a manuscript for publication
- Submissions open October 1-November 30, 2018
- Results announced in January of 2019
- Selected manuscript published in Spring of 2019
- Submit (via Submittable) a manuscript of 20-35 pages; each poem should begin on its own page.
- While individual poems may have appeared in periodicals, online, etc., the manuscript as a whole must be previously unpublished.
- Reading fee of $20 per entry. You may submit additional manuscripts by paying an additional reading fee for each. A limited number of fee-free entries are available to poets for whom the reading fee represents a hardship. (Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.)
- Your name should not appear on the manuscript itself.
- Include a table of contents, and number poem pages only; if applicable, include an acknowledgements page that lists where poems appeared previously.
- We welcome simultaneous submissions; you may simply withdraw your manuscript (via Submittable) if it is accepted for publication elsewhere.
- At this time we aren’t considering translations or multi-author chapbooks, and we ask that you don’t submit manuscripts that include visual art.
- We regret that we can’t accept postal or emailed submissions, and we can't accept submissions after the deadline. During the contest period, we can’t consider changes to manuscripts, though there will be time for editing before the selected chapbook is published.
- We follow CLMP Guidelines for contests and are committed, in all we do, to the highest ethical standards. If you are a close personal friend, family member, or student (outside of brief, one-off workshops) of any BPJ editor, or if you are a former or current intern or staff member of the BPJ, please refrain from submitting. Email us at email@example.com if you have questions about eligibility.